My husband and I have very different ways to manage our
projects and keep our stuff.
We work well together but generally keep our projects
separate. I’ll ask for help from him on
large projects but my husband rarely asks for mine – especially not the garage
– and we have come to an understanding that when he needs something that I
manage (like the small staple gun cause who wants to pull out the air
compressor every time), he returns it to
its home immediately and when I need something that he manages (like the 3foot
long level), I usually ask him where it is that day and he knows that I’ll
return it to its home or project table shortly.
While I am working on a project and I need to stop for the
day before it is completed, I’ll contain it and then stash it out of the way
until I can finish it. Ideally I only
have one project going at a time, at least that was the way it was before kids,
and when I do finish the task, everything goes back in its place immediately.
My husband however likes to work on several projects in the
course of a month (or several months) and then do a big organizing session
whenever he sees that he needs it. Of course his version of needing it is very
different than my version of thinking he needs it and his organizing logic
seems (to me) random at times.
As someone who prefers order over chaos, has a system for
storing holiday supplies, and places my keys, sunglasses, and purse in the
exact same place every time I come home, it was a huge step for me to accept
that not everyone needs to have everything in its place before sitting
down.
Understanding and accepting our differences has helped me
recognize this situation during my client evaluations and prompts me to offer
this advice:
Just because his (or her)
order looks like disorder doesn’t mean he (or she) can’t find anything. It only means that it will take longer for
someone else to find it.
As a general rule I only organize the client - I don’t
organize the spouse or any other person that is not directly involved in the
sessions because if the owner of the stuff does not have the desire for change,
it will return to the state of which it was in when it was determined that I
was needed and then my work becomes as repetitive as a housekeeper without all
of the chemicals.
I don’t make someone become organized and no one can make
someone else decide to become organized (well, at least not without some
significant convincing). So I offer you
this: Decide what it is that you want for
what is under your control and let go of the rest.
My obsession and anxiety thanked me when I did.

No comments:
Post a Comment