There was a time that I would delay shopping for holiday gifts
until what most organized people would consider dangerously close the actual
celebration date. I’m sure it was because
I despise having to LOOK for something that I’m not sure I know what that
something is yet. I do not mind going
thru stores, but don’t want to spend too much time trying to make up my mind and
that is what ends up happening. I
hold a couple of great options in my hand and then stand there for 30 minutes
or more debating which one I should get.
Maybe indecision is my problem.
Then there is online shopping. This sucks me into a vortex of internet
clicks where I will usually only discover the standard gifts that are high on
the search/suggestion lists so I’m not a huge fan of that. I online shop when I know exactly what it is
that I need, but then that is not really shopping, it’s buying. Maybe wanting (keyword:
wanting) to personalize the gift is my problem.
I’ve concluded that I am just an okay gift giver. I don’t have a lot of original gift ideas so
walking thru a store can spark my creativity and I can then find something fun
or sometimes I find something perfect. I
do okay… I mean I never forget anyone and sometimes I nail it but I think for
me it has more to do with luck than actual skill. My husband is amazing in this department and
I would say has an above average talent for gift ideas. Of course, I also think he is responsible for
significantly fewer gifts in the course of a year than I am. Maybe quantity is my problem.
I like the epiphany moments when I walk by the rack or shelf
and the universe tells me I’m supposed to buy it because it’s the right color,
size, shape, and/or price. I don’t feel
as if I’ve had to pick through the inventory to discover what I would like to
own or give but I’ve scored exactly what I wanted even though I did not know I
actually really wanted/needed it. Maybe
relying on the universe is my problem.
Gift shopping is one of the few times in my organized life I
am not consistently working from a list.
I tried it for a long time and was discouraged when I could not find what
I was looking for or more often when I had it in hand and I realized that it was not the
right gift. As my earlier lists proved to be inaccurate or not helpful, I gave
up one of my most consistent client lessons – ALWAYS USE A LIST! Maybe not
listening to advise is my problem.
Well, we are less than a week away from the largest gift
giving holiday of the year and my shopping (and buying) is all done (as of
about 5 min ago). Tonight I’ll head into
the back of my closet and the guest room to gather, organize, wrap, tape, and label
all of these gifts, to send, hand, put
under the tree or into the stocking and hopefully this year, I will not have
bought a 4th game of Jenga for the girls. Maybe my failing memory is my problem.
Ahh well, I’ll save the duplicates for another gift to another person at a
later time, I’ll have a glass of wine while wrapping and hope that the shopping
universe has collided with my subconscious memory and results in at least one ‘perfect’
present for that one person. Maybe having
too high expectations is my problem.
Happy Holidays to you and yours!

No comments:
Post a Comment