I do not always identify ‘being organized’ as a talent, I
usually label it an obsession, and sometimes I curse it. Regardless the adjectives, I have it and hope
that I can help others figure out how to take and use what they want of it
without revealing too much of my own compulsion.
I recently came across a posting I liked on Facebook and
shared it on my page. 5 Things... Tidy Homes
I laughed out loud as I saw myself in many of the
descriptions. The one that I resemble the most is “being in the constant state
of tidying”. I know this about me now,
but did not realize it until my husband pointed this habit out to me. I’m pretty sure that a heightened level of
anxiety about structure and order is passed down genetically and I can vouch that
3 generations upward in my family possess it – the jury is still out if my
daughters have it or not.
I’ll take suggestions where I can get them. There are lots of lists on ways to KEEP
organized; several more on how to GET there. I want to help you GET there.
How do you arrive at the point where you no longer have to declare
a 3 day war on the chaos to create peace in your space? Where do you begin to dismantle the clutter
so that you can start to maintain?
I’ve said many times that the point is to JUST
START. Pick a drawer and begin. Embark with one mini session and often times
that will lead to another.
Start small. Like 20
minutes small.
Dedicating those no
work Mondays to tearing apart the mess and setting up a system is very
gratifying but it’s not necessary. As
much as I enjoy spending that extra holiday conquering my daughters’ bedroom, I
prefer to engage in mini battles and keep my weekends free – it keeps my
accomplishment list growing while still allowing me to enjoy time with my girls
on a day off from school.
Much like a student with a test coming up or a term paper
due, I will set a small amount of time
aside several days a week to work on a task. Depending
on the goal and the deadline, I’ll adjust the length and the start time of the
sessions to accommodate my needs. Twenty
minutes is a good length for my schedule and if I realize that I have to adjust
my goal because I discover it’s impractical, I do so without guilt.
At the end of each mini battle I have a completed drawer,
shelf, or cabinet and I take a moment to relish in my micro accomplishment
because that gives me motivation to engage again. Add several of these up over the course of a
month and the dresser, pantry, or hall storage is now complete and I’ve ticked
several more things off of my TODO list.
Win one for order.
No comments:
Post a Comment