I’ve mentioned before that for the most part, my husband and
I work on our projects separately and that his form of organizing is a not my
style but it works for him so it does not matter if it works for me; having
said that, there are many things inside our four walls that I would love to
help him organize but I don’t touch because these are his things. On the rare occasion that he asks for my
assistance I jump at the opportunity and he offered me that chance a couple of
years ago shortly after I began taking on clients full time.
Let me explain that my husband has a passion for good sound. He has spent a bit of time restoring vintage
speakers, dialing in a sound system for each of the rooms he spends the most
time in, and enjoys good music from several genres – especially in vinyl
format. This appreciation led to a large
collection of gifted vinyl that had not been dealt with basically sitting in
boxes on the floor of his office… and I think he was finally overwhelmed enough
to ask me for help.
I spent several nights alphabetizing the collection with
minimal categories while considering the most efficient and safe way to shelf
them. About the time that I had decided
on the system that would work in our space, he stopped progress and said that
was all I needed to do for now. I was
disappointed but my other client’s kept me busy so I did not dwell on it.
Two years later (just this March), my husband said that he
would really like me to finish the project I started so I began prepping his
space and purchasing the needed items.
It took a few sessions and he is very happy with the results despite the
fact that he has homework; determining which duplicates to gift on and how many
45s he will keep.
Although most of my clients don’t delay projects this long,
it works for some and in the end my spouse was happy so the 2 year task was a success. The best progress is progress that one can
deal with. Everyone has a comfort level
when it comes to dealing with their stuff, some take longer than others to
deal.

No comments:
Post a Comment