From the look of our attic, one might think that we have a
drinking problem.. but the truth is, I’m a collector of containers and it just so
happens that my favorite box is my husband’s beer case. My repurposing collection started with some nut
jars and has grown to include blue and yellow cardboard. It was a natural progression and began several
football seasons ago when the supply was plentiful.
I have found so many uses for the compact sturdy handled
rectangle container that my clients expect me to carry in 1 if not 5 empty beer
cases to a working session. I like it
because it fits nicely on a shelf, stacks well, is large enough to hold most
items we store, and yet small enough to fit in tight spaces. Oh, and it’s basically free.
From our attic to our daughters’ closet, the boxes are used
for holiday supplies and hand-me-downs.
I bring them to sessions to sort, store, and transport belongings or donations
and rely on the compact size to eliminate the need for a second human on most
projects. When the boxes are shared with
clients and I need more, I ensure my husband’s beer
fridge is restocked and it ends up being a win for every in the family. Although our daughters would prefer to play
with the boxes, I’ve explained to them that the boxes belong to me and they can
have the accessories – they have created many a flashcard and tower competition
from my cast offs.
But let me get back to the point. The choice for storage and efficiency often
evolves from what is available; and to have full disclosure, I love the
projects within my own home that require little to no additional expenses, but
the organizational materials used in the ‘college apartment project’ may or may
not transition to the ‘married with kids household’ and the dilemma on what to
purchase in order to fix a storage project is a real one. Storage efficiency works better with uniform
shapes and the chaos of visual clutter can make a useful space look unusable so
even in the less public areas, consistency is key so finding the solution to
the problem above in a practical inexpensive container such as the beer case is
a no-brainer.
When it comes to actual storage (not “presentable storage”),
shapes that can be interchanged when one subject needs more accessibility after
the other has completed its season is important. Holiday supply boxes are a great example;
Spring/Easter, Fall/Halloween, and Winter/Christmas/Hanukkah. In a corner of the attic, we have dedicated
space to the holidays and on “decoration day”, I crawl up and rotate supplies
pulling down the current event. Attics have little head room so although there
are many more winter than spring holiday decorations, they have consistently
sized boxes so when pulling a set of boxes to the front for access and pushing
the prior set behind, all boxes will fit into the same dedicated space stacking
nicely and tucking into the crevices of the slanted roofline.
I don’t propose that you begin to buy beer in order to
accomplish the attic project, I’m simply sharing with you my repurposing trick
of our purchase by-products.

No comments:
Post a Comment