Thursday, November 30, 2017

Time Savings & Anxiety Relief in ONE. SMALL. APP.

Thinking about the hectic day as it reveals itself, I find my TODO list gets longer by the minute.

2 kids keep you busy.

Among the list of chores, classes, and obligations that are steady year round, the crunch of family and friends fall upon us like clockwork.  It’s now the holiday season and the demands to swing by and pick up the perfect gift not only for the seasonal gift exchange, but also for the stray birthday party that fits into the end of the year chaos can seem overwhelming at times.

As much as I want to follow the advice of the uber-mom bloggers and collect all of our seasonal gifts throughout the year, it never seems to work out that way. Life happens and the opportunity to shop with focus and meaning (aka without the offspring) is seldom a luxury I get to enjoy, so here I am at the end of November this year without a wrapped gift hiding in the closet and only a limited number of weekends available to shop local and find the right item that will reflect the connection I have with the intended recipient.

That is how my preoccupation with select phone apps was born.

My gateway app was navigation. 

I’ve lived in San Diego for the majority of my life and know my way around fairly well but every once in a while I would be out and about and need to get from point A to point B inside of timeline X while successfully acquiring items on list Z before returning to home point C.  I’ll share with you that timeline X is never as long as I need it to be while list Z is 3 times longer than I have time for.  This is life, my life. 

Since the desire to find the most efficient route is (of course) paramount, I would pull out the phone and plug in my destination because looking a Thomas Guide was too cumbersome (yes, I had a Thomas Guide in my car until just a few months ago… it was a 2007 version if you must know when that last time it was that I used it).  In the beginning, it was just a bonus that NAV provided an ETA.

Eventually the ETA became an obsession.  I’d watch the minuscule changes in the arrival time as the traffic lightened or I found my way into the fast or slow lanes.  Every time I would arrive at my destination exactly as predicted my mild case of anxiety was set at ease and I would not panic at the thought I was going to be late.  I learned quickly to trust the app and not stray from its instructions for fear of adding multiple minutes onto my ETA and doing this kept me from driving like an idiot in many cases since I knew when I would arrive and I could call my meeting if I was really going to be late instead of not knowing for certain.

I have since stopped using NAV on our morning commute to school - I mean who really needs to know traffic on .9miles of residential streets?  I do however use it for the evening ride home from some of my clients.  It tells me which freeway is best and which off-ramp to scoot on and off of without having to wait for the traffic report on the radio.


Soon I will come up with app that will sync up NAV to the expense report so at the end of the ride I press one button and it forwards this trip to my choice of spreadsheets that can be submitted for invoicing or tax reporting.  Maybe after I learn coding I’ll tackle that.

No comments:

Post a Comment