I can’t remember who it was, but as a professional organizer,
I loved that they said it. I revel in eliminating
the extra gadgets to allow space for the more efficient items resulting in a less
cluttered space. When it comes to the
tasks in the kitchen, most can be accomplished with a generic utensil so the
purge does not leave one unable to accomplish the task, it just requires a
little more pre-planning.
If you want
suggestions on what you don’t need or what to use if you don’t have something, there
are lots of lists, hacks, and pins out in cyberspace for you to peruse. That is not what this post is meant to
provide.
This post is so I can confess.
If you look in my kitchen, I did not follow that chef’s
advice. Like many of my clients, I
purchased (or was gifted) several Single Use Gadgets and have felt the need to
keep them despite the amount of space they consume. Don’t get me wrong, I use every one of these
SUGs so I had to figure out how to keep them and not feel like a really big hypocrite. So I asked myself 3 things.
What do I really want to keep?
How often do I use it?
What am I willing to
do to get to it when I want it?
The answers to these questions were all connected to our
social calendar. The friends and family
gatherings that require food to be cooked in quantities and kept warm for the
multiple hours of grazing was the determining factor on if we would keep it and
where.
When I need these items, I have
already planned time dedicated to the event.
I’m not in a rush and I have thought thru how I’ll use them when mentally
working out the details of our guests’ experience.
Basically I have the extra few minutes to move things out of
the way to get to it. I’m not in the “school
night/work day, homework finishing, get dinner on the table before bath time
rush”.
I won’t go into detail on everything that I move out of the
way in order to pull out the 3-bowl slow-cooker, but I will tell you that it is
in my kitchen, as is my chafing dish, fondue pot, vegetable/fish grilling
basket, relish tray, and cake platter.
My suggestion: Place in an area where
you can get to the item with some advance planning and yet not so out of the
way that you have to get in the car and drive to the storage unit.
I apply this to all things in the house.
Ask the questions and then believe the answers.

No comments:
Post a Comment