I recently left a position after 15years and can tell you that I
removed several boxes of personal items from a very small space. More boxes than I thought was possible
considering the size of my office and the fact that I never felt cluttered
there. It was mostly art and personal
items that I had found a space for – made me think that I was better at Tetris
with real life things than I was at the video game I tried so hard to conquer
in the ‘80s.
A client contacted me because she has been in her office for 14
years and had a lot of stuff - a lot of stuff that was kind of all over the
place.
This is what was making her unhappy and unfocused.
We all know how much can accumulate in just 1 year – 14 years of
stuff can be intimidating.
Our goal was to make her work space a pleasant environment for
her to be able to focus in. After all, being in arts education, she spends a
lot of time at work and having a clean, uncluttered space to go to when there
is a break between teaching classes and running rehearsals, is important if one
is going to survive another set of college students.
As an educator, she has things that she is required to keep for
a series of years, she has things that mark milestones, and she has things that
she has not dealt with. 14 years of
things.
We evaluated how her job processes have changed over the years
and made sure to remove the things that she no longer used to do her job. It was like getting rid of the typewriter
after having bought the computer. She
had just not gotten rid of the typewriter yet.
We also purged anything that she is no longer obligated to hold
on to and created a rotating file box where she can insert the current year and
purge the 3rd year of her required paper storage.
We tackled the 800sq feet of office and redesigned how she used
the space allowing for a more open position for when she is working with students.
She wanted to remove one of the shelf units because as she put
it, "it’s just ugly" and we determined that she no longer needed several
things so she disposed of those items and took a small stack home – my favorite
of which was the dual cassette player. I
had to chuckle when I realized that I never saw an actual cassette in the office.
We spent 8 hours in her space and at the end of the day, she
said that she loved walking into her office and was excited to get working on the
homework I assigned her.
Taking small steps is key.
One room at a time. One project
at a time.
She was very motivated to start her next year of teaching in an
organized space. I’m sure here first
week was a focused one.
![]() |
| Filing cabinet BEFORE |
![]() |
| Bookcase BEFORE (attached) |
![]() |
| Filing cabinet bookcase AFTER |
![]() |
| Plant table BEFORE |
![]() |
| Shelf BEFORE (removed) |
![]() |
| Desk BEFORE |
![]() |
| Desk AFTER MOVE |
![]() |
| Desk AFTER MOVE |








No comments:
Post a Comment